Thursday, May 2, 2013

Crappy alternative a force people to think of better ones

We were thinking of new names for our company because .com is taken for doctree and that doesn't bode well for our global domination plans. WE have been sitting on this for a while, and I was suggesting a string of different names to promote discussion. They werent particularly good (I was Ok a couple of them but them I am generally less picky than the average person), and my cofounder was rightly rejecting them. But I was little miffed that he wasnt offering any suggestions either. That's when I came across this article

https://medium.com/what-i-learned-building/9216e1c9da7d

So i decided to do an experiment after another round of rejection and said "OK let us set a deadline. If we dont come up with a better name in the next 2 days, I am going to register <notsogreatname>.com" 

There was a short silence, after which I got a response with a name both of us were ok with.

So it works! 

The only catch is - the other person needs to care about the decision at hand. Otherwise you will end up shooting yourself in the foot.

No comments: